Date: 24/02/2021 11:53
Subject: Glasgow Science Centre – free online resources for community groups and families.
The resources below may be of some use and interest.
Education Scotland CLD and Glasgow Science Centre are working in partnership to develop and publicise a wide range of free online resources that can be accessed by community groups and families at any time.
There are a wide range of science topics covered, suitable for different levels, including:
- GSCAtHome videos span a broad range of science topics and levels, from activities that can be tried at home (for example, make your own water wheel) to understanding energy;
- The Spark is a family learning science magazine with activities, experiments and quizzes that can be printed for those with limited access to online technology;
- A Spark of Science audio series are short science sound bites to spark imagination and curiosity;
- In the run up to COP26, the Our World, Our Impact programme includes a series of interactive online events, discussions, videos, challenges, etc. about climate change;
- Our World Our Impact Hub is the corresponding one stop shop with resources for beginners right through to advanced lectures, live events, activities and workshops, Q&A sessions, etc.
Curious About: Our Planet Science festival – 18th to 20th February 2021
This online science festival and digital exhibition experience, which is part of the Our World, Our Impact programme, focuses on climate change. The festival will include exciting live sessions such as behind the scenes broadcasts from The Royal Zoological Society of Scotland, and live talks with climate scientists and wildlife conservationists, resources and videos, curated content from our partners, a family quiz, sustainable cocktail making, music and more.
Still to come…
Glasgow Science Centre are working on developing two bespoke learning packs for community groups. These will be available on the Our World Our Impact Hub from 1st April 2021:
- Folklore for Future Learning Pack (Ages 3-10) – Explore the wonders of our planet through the art of storytelling and imagine a greener, healthier future through this easy to use learning pack. Listen along with some of Scotland’s leading storytellers and try out some activities at home – why not have a go at your very own story!
- Preparing for a ‘Just Transition’ (Ages 13+) – Discover the opportunities and challenges Scotland faces in reducing our environmental impact. This learning pack explores the perspectives of people of all ages and backgrounds through group discussions, activities, and engaging resources.
CLD at GSC – Get in touch
GSC has a dedicated Community Learning and Development (CLD) team which works in partnership with community organisations to help communities build their confidence in STEM. An understanding of how STEM relates to their everyday lives can break down barriers, promote change and empower. The CLD team brings science learning to communities through a unique blended programme of outreach, online digital workshops, group work, capacity building and professional development and they are always looking to develop opportunities for community partnerships.
GSC online digital community workshops, called ‘Let’s Talk About…’ are a range of discussion-based everyday science and environmental workshops, designed to relate science to individuals’ everyday lives and build confidence. Topics include Science, Astronomy, Energy, Weather and Climate, plus more to come. If you are interested in finding out more about the online workshops, please contact the CLD team at GSC directly via email: CLDteam@gsc.org.uk
You can also find out more about the CLD team at GSC here: https://www.glasgowsciencecentre.org/learn/community-learning-and-development